The project engineer is in charge of the design, construction, test and support for the operation of experimental irradiation equipment and facilities. Together with his/her team of specialists, the project engineer makes sure the project meets customer specifications, safety requirements, all of this in accordance with the agreed planning and budget.
More specifically, he/she :
- Draws up technical specifications including planning and budget, based on internal customer specifications;
- Designs the irradiation equipment or experimental facility with help from a team of specialists. Several different aspects of the design, such as neutronics, thermohydraulics, instrumentation, control, decommissioning, decontamination and nuclear and industrial safety, must be taken into account;
- Draws up the necessary documents for the CEE (Committee for Experimental Evaluation) to obtain the necessary approvals for the construction and operation of the experiment;
- Follows up the construction, assembly, test and commissioning of the experiment;
- Reports the progress made by the project as well as the operational measurement data to the customer.